Dental Bridges Tacoma WA
A dental bridge is a replacement tooth or set of teeth that fill in spaces left by missing teeth. Dental bridges are often a go-to and healthy solution for missing teeth.
Q. I have a missing tooth, what are my options?
A. Traditional bridgework is often the go-to solution for missing teeth. Read on to learn more about bridges. However, the important first step is to set up an appointment to thoroughly discuss all options with your dentist.
A dental bridge is a device that “bridges” the space created by one or more missing teeth. Times when bridges may be necessary:
- To prevent shifting of the teeth that can lead to bite problems and/or jaw problems that can possibly result in periodontal disease.
- Bridges also safeguard the integrity of existing teeth and help to maintain a healthy, vibrant smile.
Types of dental bridges:
- Fixed Bridge – This is the most popular type of dental bridge and consists of a filler tooth that is attached to two crowns, which fit over the existing teeth and hold the bridge in place.
- The “Maryland” Bridge – This type of bridge is commonly used to replace missing front teeth and consists of filler that is attached to metal bands that are bonded to the abutment teeth. The metal bands are made of a white-colored resin that matches existing teeth.
- The Cantilever Bridge – This type is often used when there are teeth on only one side of the span. A typical three-unit cantilever bridge is made up of two crowned teeth positioned next to each other on the same side of the missing tooth space. The filler tooth is then connected to the two crowned teeth, which extend into the missing tooth space or end.
If you are ever interested in a bridge, contact us.
Keep in mind that South Sound Dental also does other types of dental treatments other than dental bridges. Click here to look at all of our dental treatments.