General Teeth Extractions Tacoma WA
What is a Tooth Extraction?
A tooth extraction is the complete removal of a tooth. A tooth extraction is sometimes necessary if a primary tooth is preventing the normal function of a permanent tooth. Also tooth removal might be unavoidable if repairing it isn’t possible because of considerable decay or trauma. This decay could be due to gum disease, or if the tooth is impacted.
Depending on the complexity of the case, an extraction can be performed surgically or non-surgically. A mild anesthesia is used to ensure comfort throughout the procedure.
Tooth Extraction Pain
The South Sound Dental team will make you feel comfortable throughout the removal of a tooth. Your dentist will talk you through each step of the tooth extraction.
If you feel nervous about tooth extractions, you are not alone. If you need to speak with a dentist to ask specific details about your tooth removal, please feel free to contact us.
Tooth Extraction Aftercare
While you heal, make sure to follow these guidelines to ensure you stay healthy and comfortable.
- You should change out your gauze pad every 30 minutes or every time it’s soaked with blood.
- Apply light pressure while the gauze pad is pressing against your extracted tooth site.
- If you have heavy bleeding vs. a small leak, notify your dentist.
- Do not chew, lick, or suck on the gauze pad or site.
- Avoid brushing or otherwise disturbing the extraction site.
- Use only salt water to clean the area of extraction.
- Do not eat any hard foods the day of the procedure.
If you have any concerns about bleeding, pain, or swelling, contact our office right away.
Keep in mind that South Sound Dental also does other types of dental treatments other than general teeth extractions. Click here to look at all of our dental treatments.