Dental Crown – Dental Cap
What is a Dental Crown?
A dental crown, also commonly known as a dental cap, is a tooth-shaped cap that is placed over a tooth that has been damaged. A crown on a tooth restores the tooth’s original shape and size after damage has been done. When these caps for teeth are applied correctly, the result is natural-looking teeth in shape, color and strength.
Why Do I Need a Tooth Crown?
Reasons for Capping a Tooth
There might be many reasons why your dentist has recommended that you need a cap for a tooth. Some of the more common reason for needing dental cap include:
- You have a weak tooth due to fracture or decay and a crown will help make it stronger
- A dental cap will improve the appearance of your teeth
- You have a tooth that was previously restored but now has chipped
- Your tooth is falling off and needs to be replaced with a crown, which is more permanent
How Long Can I Wait Before Crowning a Tooth?
Having the crown fit properly, sealed flawlessly, and making sure there is an accurate bite are all factors that will ensure that the crown lasts a long time.
As far as how long you can wait before getting caps for your teeth, you’ll want to discuss this with your dentist. As with almost every procedure that your dentist recommends, sooner is better. Waiting simply means that teeth will get worse until the tooth is capped. Not only that, more time waiting will keep you in the dentist chair longer, creating additional cost.
How Long Will My Dental Crown Last?
Great oral hygiene is the main factor determining how long your dental crown will last. With great care some caps will last 25 to 30 years. However, the average life of a tooth crown is 15 years. Create good oral habits right away. For one, make sure that you continue brushing at least twice a day. Other good habits include flossing once a day, and going to your regular dental check-ups and cleanings.
Getting Teeth Capped – The Process
Getting a crown involves two visits to our dental offices here in Tacoma.
Why Choose South Sound Dental in Tacoma For your Dental Crown?
South Sound Dental in Tacoma is one of the highest rated dental offices for getting this procedure performed. We are experts at performing this procedure. Award winning and highly reviewed there is no better place in Tacoma.
- Tooth and surrounding gum are numbed
- The tooth will be filed and shaped down to make room for the crown
- A paste is used to get an impression of the tooth
- A temporary cap will be put in place until your next visit
Second Visit – Two Weeks Later
- After the custom crown is manufactured, your dentist will make sure the crown fits properly
- Your dentist will check the color, and make sure that your bite is right
- The new crown will be permanently cemented into place
For a more comprehensive outline, see article Steps Involved in Getting a Crown.
What Happens if You Lose a Crown?
Don’t panic, and schedule an appointment with your dentist as soon as possible.
When a dental cap comes off, the tooth is often sensitive to temperature and pressure. If you are experiencing pain, you can try using clove oil, which can be purchased at a drug or grocery store. Apply the clove oil to the sensitive location.
You can also try to put the crown back on yourself until you can see your dentist. Check out this article to learn how to temporally cement your dental cap.