We are all aware that after eating onions or garlic, we’re left with less than desirable breath. But what if you experience bad breath (halitosis) more often than not. It can definitely have a negative impact on your comfort level socially. Fortunately, there are some effective ways to achieve a fresh mouth.
1. Brush and floss frequently. We should all be brushing our teeth twice a day and flossing at least once. If you’re experiencing breath issues, brushing and flossing more frequently will help with plaque and bacteria that contribute to the problem.
2. Scrape your tongue. Our tongue is often the host to bacteria that is less than pleasant smelling. Use a toothbrush or a tongue scraper to remove bacteria and dead cells.
3. Use mouthwash. An anti-bacterial mouthwash with help to reduce plaque that causes foul smelling bacteria in your mouth.
4. Drink plenty of water. Lacking a sufficient amount of saliva promotes tooth decay and can cause bad breath.
5. Chew gum. Gum stimulates saliva, which is our natural defense against plaque acids.
6. Avoid foods that cause bad breath such as garlic and onions, especially before social occasions since brushing doesn’t help much to rid your mouth of the odor.
7. Talk to your dentist. Bad breath could be a sign of a bigger problem such as gum disease.