It’s that time of year when the seasonal aisles at grocery stores are stocked full with Halloween candy. Consumption of surgery treats is pretty much unavoidable around the holiday. Many businesses and homes have Halloween bowls out full of candy, which may prove too tempting to resist. However, some of these sweet treats are better than others for the health of your teeth. If opting out all together isn’t an option, then here’s a list to help you make the best candy choices this Halloween.
Worst Halloween Candy Choices:
- Chewy, sticky candies like gummy bears, taffy, and caramel. These easily get stuck in your teeth and stay for hours creating an optimal situation for the development of cavities.
- Sour candies are very acidic which causes the quick breakdown of tooth enamel.
- Hard candy and lollipops stay in your mouth for long periods of time which allows for the consistent flow of sugar onto your teeth.
- Jawbreakers are so tough that you risk chipping your teeth when eating them.
Best Halloween Candy Choices:
- Sugar-free hard candy and lollipops.
- Chocolate melts quickly making it a better choice than most.
- Sugar-free gum helps to remove food particles and stimulates saliva production.
Make sure that you and your children brush your teeth before bed and for at least two minutes. It’s also not a bad idea to add a fluoride rinse to your nightly routine, which helps with cavity prevention.